Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Montessori Poem

By Bree Van Nes
A Montessori class is like no other,
Calm and peaceful, neutral in color
Amazing materials to challenge the mind,
And countless opportunities to grow and to shine,


A harmonious tone, where grace and courtesy are seen,
Children helping, children learning, exploring why leaves are green,
A joyous community where independence abounds,
Learning through the senses, sandpaper letters to learn the sounds,

Learning about the continents, working with landforms too,
Learning the parts of an insect, persevering to tie your shoe,
Pushing in your chair, rolling up your mat,
Using the Moveable Alphabet to spell the word, ‘c-a-t’

An environment where children work at their own pace,
Discovering, exploring, no pressure to win the race,
A philosophy that helps children be all they can be,
Guiding their learning by following their lead,


Intrinsically motivated,
Independent too,
The power of the absorbent mind
Soaking up knowledge through and through


Maria Montessori is one of a kind,
An acute observer, an intelligent mind
She believed in following the child’s lead,
And giving children the tools to help those in need

A Montessori class is like no other
And a teacher I’m proud to be
A role model, a facilitator, a nurturer, a friend,
Guiding them on a journey that I hope will never end

I feel so proud, so honored and blessed
To help each child achieve their best
To instill in them a love for life,
A passion for learning and a zest for life


Thank-you Dr. Montessori for inspiring me each and every day. I feel like I am on a constant journey and each day the children have something more to teach me. I can’t even put into words how much I love being a Montessori teacher - I wake up every morning excited to start my day and honored to be able to experience learning through the eyes of a child!
With thanks,

No comments:

Post a Comment